Heart of Georgia Railroad locomotive No. 1309 sits beside Dawson's depot in this 2007 photo. The tracks crossing Hwy. 520 in the foreground are part of the former Central of Georgia Eufaula District. This line is now operated by Georgia Southwestern Railroad.
The sign over the front door reads Georgia & Alabama and Georgia Great Southern. These were predecessor shortlines that were consolidated into the Georgia Southwestern in 1995.
Dawson (population: 5,035) is the county seat of Terrell County in SW Georgia.
Update: This depot was demolished in February 2009. See photos at