Better known as the South Carolina Railroad, the line from Charleston to Hamburg, South Carolina, across the Savannah River from Augusta, was the longest railroad in the world (136 miles) when completed in 1833.
Although intended to connect Charleston and Memphis, the railroad progressed no farther west than Hamburg. The Memphis connection was eventually made, however, by the construction of the Georgia Railroad from Augusta to Atlanta, the Western and Atlantic from Atlanta to Chattanooga, the Nashville & Chattanooga from Chattanooga to Stevenson, AL,* and the Memphis and Charleston from Stevenson to Memphis. The lines were joined in 1858.
See also South Carolina Canal & Rail Road Company
Thomas Fetters. The Charleston & Hamburg; A South Carolina Railroad and an American Legacy. Charleston, SC: The History Press, 1988.
* From Stevenson, the Nashville & Chattanooga extended on to Nashville. On the 38 miles between Stevenson and Chattanooga, the Memphis & Charleston operated under a joint use lease agreement with the N&C.