Successor to the Chickamauga and Durham Railroad Company, which was sold under foreclosure in October of 1894. The Chickamauga and Durham had constructed the 17-mile line from Chickamauga to the coal mines atop Lookout Mountain in 1892.
The railroad's president was James W. English, a former mayor of Atlanta, whose Chattahoochee Brick and other companies profited from the neo-slavery of Georgia's convict lease system. English also owned the Durham Coal and Coke Company which mined the coal carried down the mountain by the railroad.
In 1900 the line was sold to the Chattanooga, Rome and Southern Railroad. A year later the CR&S was acquired by the Central of Georgia, which operated the Durham line for a half-century before abandoning it in 1951.
Maps, Timetables, and Other Information:
1896 timetable (43K)
1897 map (98K)
1901 equipment list (46K)