Empire & Dublin Railroad
Chartered December, 1888, the Empire & Dublin built a 40-mile line connecting Dublin and Hawkinsville. Poors 1891 Manual noted that the company acquired 11 miles of road from Empire towards Dublin, built several years ago by the Empire Lumber Co., rebuilt it in 1889, and extended it to Hawkinsville and Turkey Creek, 32 miles in same year. Extension from Turkey Creek to Dublin built in 1890. Surveys completed for an extension from Hawkinsville to Grovania, Ga., on the Georgia Southern and Florida RR., a distance of 13 miles. Receiver appointed in December, 1890.
The Empire & Dublin was planning a 32-mile extension from Hawkinsville to Fort Valley, where it would connect with the Central of Georgia.
In 1890 the railroad had five locomotives and 60 freight cars. Its president was J.C. Anderson of Chattanooga, Tenn., and its vice president was J.W. Hightower of Empire, Ga. The railroad’s offices were in Empire. The Georgia State Gazetteer of 1896 described Empire as a community of some 25 people lying alongside the Southern Railway about ten miles from Hawkinsville.
In 1892 the Empire & Dublin was reorganized as the Oconee and Western Railroad.
1892 map (53K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.