Chartered in 1901 and put into service in July 1902, the FO&RB was a 13.7-mile standard gauge rail line running from Fitzgerald northeast to Garbutt’s Landing on the Ocmulgee River. In 1902 it operated one locomotive, one passenger car, and ten freight cars.
A 35-mile extension of the line to Red Bluff, on the Oconee River near present-day Soperton, may have been planned, but the Ocmulgee remained the end of the line.
In 1906 the FO&RB was absorbed into the Ocilla & Valdosta Railroad, which abandoned it the following year.
Maps and Other Information:
1904 map (17K)
1904 equipment list (119K)
1906 map (50K)
1910 map (44K)