|In 1908, the newly constructed Georgia & Florida Railroad chose Douglas among several towns competing for its service and repair shops, which would provide steady, well-paying jobs. The shops and rail yard were built the following year on the north side of town, providing Douglas with a local economic asset that would last for a half-century.
Southern Railway acquired the G&F in the early 1960s and soon afterwards closed the Douglas shops complex. The tracks remained active until the late 1980s, when Norfolk Southern, successor to Southern Railway, abandoned this section of the line.
Recognizing that the unused railbed could become a local recreational and transportation amenity, the city constructed a 3-mile trail connecting downtown with South Georgia College on the south and an industrial park on the north. Along the way, the trail passes by the former G&F depot, now the Heritage Station museum.