The Guild-Hardy trail passes just below the historic Cravens House.
Constructed in 1887-88, the Chattanooga & Lookout Mountain Railway climbed the mountain from St. Elmo at its base over a steady 5-mile grade that curved from the east side to the west side and back again.
Although it was known as the Broad Gauge railroad, it was a standard-gauge line that used steam locomotives. From 1913 to 1920, the route was traversed by electric streetcars of the Chattanooga Railway & Light Company.
Now a recreational trail, the railbed provides an opportunity to ascend or descend the mountain away from vehicular traffic (mostly) at a leisurely pace.