South Georgia Railroad
(Photo from: State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory)
Incorporated in 1896, the South Georgia Railroad opened its 28-mile railroad between Heartpine and Quitman in March of 1897. A 23-mile extension from Quitman to Greenville, Florida, opened in October of 1901.
In 1902 the South Georgia leased the West Coast Railway of Florida (Greenville-to-Perry, Florida) and changed the combined railroads’ name to South Georgia and West Coast Railway. Soon afterwards this name was dropped in a reorganization and the railroad was renamed the South Georgia Railway.
In 1904 the line’s northern terminus was moved a few miles north from Heartpine to Adel. That same year the 26-mile extension between Greenville and Perry, Florida, was completed. It was operated under the charter of the West Coast Railway Company.
The railroad's general offices were in Quitman.
In 1971 the South Georgia merged with the Live Oak, Perry and Gulf Railroad to form the Live Oak, Perry and South Georgia Railway, running from Adel to Perry. It was owned and operated by Southern Railway.
|Engine no. 7, built by Baldwin in 1898.
(From: State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory).
|Engine no. 6 at Foley, Florida. Built by Baldwin in 1928.
(State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory).
|Engine no. 202 at Foley, Florida, in 1964.
(Thomas Lawson, Jr. photo. State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory).
|From: Official Guide of the Railways, April 1918.
Maps, Timetables, and Other Information:
1895 map (24K)
1897 timetable (60K)
1908 map (23K)
1917 equipment list (222K)
1929 timetable (172K)
1953-54 map (377K)
South Georgia Railway at Taplines.net. The site includes photos, maps, timetables, and more.
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey
Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home