Southern Railway
1953-55 map, Warm Springs - Griffin

Southern's Warm Springs-Griffin line was constructed in 1886-87 as the Georgia Midland & Gulf connecting Columbus and McDonough.

Other railroads shown on this mid-1950s map are the Atlantic Coast Line (three lines leading from Manchester); the Central of Georgia (at Greenville, Thomaston, and Griffin), and Southern's Atlanta-Fort Valley line (running south from Williamson).

The Fort Valley line originally extended north of Williamson through Zetella and on to Atlanta, but it was discontinued in 1939. The section between Williamson and Roberta was abandoned in 1977.

From: Atlanta and Phenix City quadrangles, 1:250,000-scale topographic maps. U. S. Geological Survey, 1953 (Atlanta) and 1955 (Phenix City). Online at Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home