Southern Railway
1955 map, Columbus - Warm Springs

Southern's Columbus-Warm Springs line was constructed in 1886-87 as the Georgia Midland & Gulf. It continued beyond Warm Springs to Griffin and McDonough.

In this area, the Southern line ran between two Central of Georgia lines. To the west were the Central's tracks from Columbus to Hamilton, Chipley (now Pine Mountain), Greenville, and Raymond. To the south was the Columbus-Fort Valley line, begun in the 1840s as the Muscogee Railroad.

From: Phenix City quadrangle, 1:250,000-scale topographic map. U. S. Geological Survey, 1955. Online at Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home