In 1954, the new Valdosta Southern Railroad began operating the former Georgia & Florida line between Valdosta, Georgia, and Madison, Florida. The Valdosta Southern was owned by Owens-Illinois, Inc. which operated a paper mill at Clyattville.
The tracks from Clyattville to Madison were abandoned in 1972, leaving the Valdosta Southern as a 10-mile line between Valdosta and Clyattville.
In 1992, the line was sold to Rail Management Corporation, which established the Valdosta Railway to operate it. In 2005, Rail Management sold all of its assets, including the Valdosta Railway, to Genesee & Wyoming Inc., which operated the line through its Rail Link subsidiary for a time. The Valdosta Railway is now part of the Southern Region of Genesee & Wyoming.
The 12-mile section from Madison to the Withlacoochee River at the state line is now a paved rail-trail known as the Four Freedoms Trail.
Maps and Timetables:
1954 map (452K)
1967 mileage table (71K)